One day my 2 year old comes out of the bathroom with blue lips & blue hands. Immediately I jumped up and asked him what he had eaten. He took me to the bathroom, and who knows where he got it from, pointed to a half-eaten blu-loo toilet sanitizer block on the floor that normally sits in the cistern to make the water blue. I didn't even know we owned any of these things because we didn't use them.
I’m freaking out at this stage because I don’t know how poisonous these things are, and I'm trying to control a 2 year old kid who just wants to run around and play. I call the poisons hotline and they assure me that it is non-toxic, and just to let it run its course through his little body, just keep his fluids up to help it pass.
The blue colour stained his lips and hands for days, no amount of soap or washing would get rid of it. You can imagine my surprise when I had to change his nappy the next day, and found out my son was now dispensing little Smurfs from his backside which now staining his butt.
Needless to say, when I dropped him at day-care the next day, there were some strange looks as I explained the situation to the staff. I don't know what they thought of me, but I bet the story has passed into folklore by now. Surely I am not the only one this has happened to? Please, tell me if you have. I can't be the only parent who has suffered this.